LISBON FALLS, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- Fire Marshals say the fire that killed two girls Friday in Lisbon Falls was an accident -- and a working smoke detector would have likely given the family enough time to escape.
The two children killed in Friday's house fire in Lisbon Falls were sisters who were trapped in their second-floor bedroom.
Lisbon firefighters and a Lisbon police officer entered the burning house and brought the girls out, but they could not be revived.
Investigators say one smoke detector was found in the building, but its battery had been removed.
The victims are 11-year-old Natalie Hogan and her six-year-old sister Kelsey Hogan. Mother Lorna Hogan is being treated at Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston for smoke inhalation and burns she received while trying to save to the girls.
Four other children were able to escape without injury and they are now being cared for by grandparents who live nearby.
Officials say the fire began under a bathtub. They say two possible causes stem from that area: A torch was used to unplug the tub drain on Thursday night; and a fixture for a first floor light is located under the tub.
The girls' bedroom was located next to the bathroom on the second floor.
The house is located at 34 Summer Street, a short distance from Route 196, near the Topsham town line.